Lo Sguardo Italiano

Lo Sguardo Italiano

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Listening to our past - Ascoltando il nostro passato



What is our past telling us? Is there anything useful to the present we can decipher from the thousands of years that preceded us? How do we cope with a present that seems so different, so forgetful of the past legacy, doomed to be destroyed by human nature? These are some of the questions I ask to myself every time I look at some of the masterpieces of Italian art. Whether it's from two thousands or from two hundreds years ago, what matters to me it's that we still have it as a witness of what has been there before us. I'm fascinated by these roman statues, for example. Looking at them, they seemed alive; some of the faces had features that I thought I would find in people I have met. The depth of history moves me beyond words.

Di che cosa ci parla il nostro passato? C'è qualcosa di utile per il presente che possiamo decifrare dai migliaia di anni che ci hanno preceduto? Come possiamo scendere a patti con un presente che sembra così diverso, così dimentichevole dell'eredità passata, condannato ad essere distrutto dalla natura umana? Queste sono alcune delle domande che mi faccio ogni volta che guardo uno dei capolavori dell'arte Italiana. Non importa che sia di duemila anni o di duecento anni fa, quello che è rilevante è che ce l'abbiamo davanti come testimone di quello che c'è stato prima di noi. Sono affascinato da queste statue romane, per esempio. Mi sembrano vive quando le guardo; alcuni volti hanno i lineamenti che mi è sembrato di ritrovare nelle persone che ho incontrato. La profondità della storia mi commuove al di là delle parole.

No comments: